Thursday, August 03, 2006

 

My New Adventure

Well. . .tomorrow I am writing my first check to Tall Oaks Christian School. Hurray! I'm sure this just doesn't seem like a big deal to most of you, but homeschooling was all I have ever known. I will really miss my children (believe it or not), but I am so thrilled about the level of education they will be receiving at this school. I just want to send a shout out to Dr. B for having the Lord use him in his ramblings on Christian education. It really had an impact on not only me, but also a close friend of mine who was also wrestling with the whole home/public/private debate.

***Side note. . .when Dr. B had mentioned how in December his children had learned about Kwanzaa and the menorah, but only Santa at Christmas. . .it got me thinking. . .why is that? Then it struck me. Christ is THE truth. It doesn't matter if you teach about Buddha or Kwanzaa or Jewish tradition or Allah. . .it is all false teaching. If people decide to follow these religions as a result of the teaching, who cares? But if Christ was taught and people came to follow Him as a result of it, then that changes everything. Teach whatever you want, but don't mention the "J" word. Doesn't that really have an odor of hate to it? It proves to me (and this is what it boils down to for me~I struggle with needing proof sometimes) that Jesus IS real because just the mention of Him is such a threat to so many people. Buddha is not a threat. Allah is not a threat. Tree worshiping IS NOT A THREAT. Am I making any sense to you?

Back to school. Yippie skippy flapper doodles. I am excited. I do not feel bad at all for having made this decision. I gave it a try. It was fun, but ultimately they can do a better job in some areas, and that is okay. Now I can do the whole first day of school pics, and I can have warm cookies waiting for them, and I can chaperone field trips, and I can play with Liam and Millie (my baby, not my dog. My dog is Pearl, and I don't much care for her). Fun good times.

That reminds me. I never introduced my family. Here it goes.
Ben~my totally hot husband.
Madeline~age 9, very dramatic. Loves dogs and talking a lot.
Elijah (Eli)~almost 6, very cute and talks with a lisp (he is very aware of it and broke my heart when he asked if he would talk normal in heaven)
William (only referred to as Liam. . .unless he is getting in trouble, then it is WILLIAM BLAKE!!!) age 4~he is my trouble, but so, so sly. Totally cute, too.
Amelia (Millie May~because I am a hillbilly that's why) age 2, a very sweet little girl who loves doing little girl things. Yes, I realize that my best friends girl is also Amelia. I loved the name forever~never planned on having any more children~she asked if she could use it~I said yes because there was only a 50% chance I would ever be pregnant again, and only a 50% chance it would be a girl. We took a gamble, and lost five months later. I still had to use the name. I really wanted Hazel though. It will grow on you after about 3 years. Ben hated Hazel. Millie has hazel eyes~I'm still pretty bummed.

Comments:
GREAT POST!!! You're a riot and I'm so glad to have met your family finally. By the way, I think my hubby is totally hot too!!!

I know that you'll be happy with your decision to send the kids to Christian school. Not because it's the right or wrong decision, but because it's the decision you came to after much thought and prayer.

I also agree with what you said about Kwanza etc.. I taught in a public school for 8 years and when I started we could talk about ALL religions, which I still think is a good idea so that our children will be able to understand where others are in their religious life and ultimately be able to share THE faith the have been raised with, but that's another post... Anyway, by my last year of teaching I couldn't even mention the fact that I went to church on Sundays! That was it for me...I knew that Christian school would be where my children went.

Oh, by the way, don't be too hard on yourself if the warm cookie thing doesn't last more than a week. Life, you know...???
 
by the way...we missed you yesterday at the pool party. hope you can make it next time!
 
I've never known anyone to celebrate writing the first tuition check! I'm so glad to hear the peace in your 'voice' about the decision you've made.

Your comment about the Truth is so true! I've often wondered why popular culture has no problem talking about Islam or Scientology or any other religion. They will feature it on any news show, give lip service to it in any paper and talk about it in school. But the mere mention of Christ will send the media into a frenzy and the ACLU will be sent into action. The same care and concern is not given to any other religion...what are they so afraid of? Why is it in Vouge to be a Muslim or Scientologist but not a Christian? It has got to be that the Truth is too dangerous. Great post Kary!

BTW missed you yesterday!
 
Sorry. . .but I totally spit my Diet Coke about "Ben my totally hot husband" LMAO! Ben, the guy who sews his own clothes! hee hee

She should have been Hazel. It's awesome.

Down with Allah. And Kwanzaa ain't a religion. It's an Africian community celebration. Lots of Christians celebrate it.

OK, I'm done being a know-it-all.

Yeah Kary's kids go to school! We'll cook all day long. And shop. And blog. And Ebay!
 
I do not ramble
 
"Yippie skippy flapper doodles" - totally my new line!!

i also am glad to hear you came to a decision about school that you are at peace with. i don't have experience with public schools and i don't think it is a wrong decision to send kids to one, but since we have moved out of the dutch CRC world, i have valued my christian education. it's not because we are in a place where christianity is scarce (actually, the opposite is true. come down south and you will constantly hear about jesus and christianity), it's mostly because it gave me a wonderful foundation to understand and communicate my world view and faith with others - even fellow christians.

don't let jen talk you into going shopping too much once your kids are in school!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?